Thursday 28 June 2012

Taxi for the Butterfly Ball anyone? By Trish Latimer

Hello again!
Well, this is my third and final project! I have to say a great big Thank You to Jennie and Emma for inviting me to be part of the team, albeit for such a short time! I can honestly say I've had a ball creating these pieces to share......and that is a very dodgy way of introducing my creation today..... (ball? Butterfly Ball? geddit?!!)
Anyway.....
This project started out as something completely different.....but once I could 'see' a carriage shape sort of emerging from the canvas block and spools, this is what happened! Another quirky, painty, assemblage piece.
A little step by step 'how to'......
I started off with a wooden block (Chunky ATC sized, but that was coincidence rather than design, it was the first thing that came to hand!). I then covered it with Sticky Backed Canvas . Yes, I could have just painted onto the wood, but I really like the canvas texture!
I then smeared layers of Blank Canvas (white), Pool (turquoise) and Lettuce (green) paint onto the block. Make sure to dry in between applying each colour, and continue to build up the layers until you like it!
Next, its stamping time! Using the same three paints as before, stamp Grid Background, Open Sequin Waste Background, Random Dots Background and Harlequin Background onto the block.
 Once the stamping is dry, print some shapes using the sides of credit cards and bottle tops. I've used
Raspberry and Purple Twilight for this.....
I also added a little black detail using the squiggle stamp from the Flower Maker plate....
Whilst you have the paints out, paint two 70 cm x 48cm Wooden Spools white....
Then decorate to match the canvas covered block....
Once the spools are dry, attach them to the bottom of the block using hot glue.
Now, the butterflies. Paint some scraps of card with the four bright paint colours, then stamp the Butterflies using black ink. Cut out, then adhere to the block base....
To get the 3D effect, use strips of acetate stuck to the butterflies, then adhered at different points to the base. Now, this isn't a pic I'd normally show, but it really gives you an idea of the 'workings' of the butterflies..
The acetate on the side of the block can be hidden by adding an extra butterfly over it!
The 'guardian' of my carriage is a vintage image that I've backed onto card, cut out then stuck to a little square stand. She holds a bamboo skewer sign....
I made a hole in the image, then threaded through some fine chain to look like she's holding it. The chain is simply looped over a Resin Crown glued to the top of the carriage...
So...there you have it! A suitably strange project to end my guest designer stint here!
 Thank you for having me, I've loved it!
See you all soon,
Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

13 comments:

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a gorgeous project, wonderfull, creative, ART!!!

Greetings
Maria

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...Trish I've not seen anything like this, your creative mind is an Aladin's Cave of gems!!..great step-by-step too & a perfect ending to your Guest Designer slot...Mel :)

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

thank you so much for this tutorial, your creation is gorgeous !

Inkypinkycraft said...

This is great..a super creative idea!!where do you get your ideas! Trace x

Sid said...

Fab project Trish !!

Artyjen said...

Inspirational! It's been great to see your fabulous creations ;)
xoxo Sioux

Gabrielle said...

Seriously cool and incredibly inventive project! Congrats on your guest spot - I have no doubt you'll be asked to return!

Redanne said...

Wow Trish, this project is stunning, not just because I adore butterflies but the whole concept from start to finish. Thanks for the tutorial too. A x

Ginger said...

This is so funky, what a great idea.
x

Carol said...

I love it.

Zuzu's Blog said...

Fab work trish... worth coming home early to see... original and gorgeous.

Janny Jager said...

Wowwwwww this is great Trish
Really really beautiful.

Greetings Janny

craftytrog said...

Such great use of colour Trish, & so inspiring a project!
It's been wonderful having you join us for June!
Alison xx