Wednesday 27 June 2012

Shabby Chic Altered Jewellery Box by Astrid

Good morning everyone, this is Astrid here with my second project for June.
I decided to make a little altered jewellery box as I needed a present for a friend that loves jewellery and adores this style.


I used a medium sized wooden box and first of all sanded it down a bit and then painted it all over with Gesso. When that was dry I painted it with Hazlenut Paintdabber. This colour is not at all like hazlenuts but more an old rose pink, which is just the colour I wanted. Next I sanded it a bit again to make it look shabby and stamped all over it with the Calligraphic Mat 12 in Archival Coffee.


I then darkened the edges and corners a bit with some dark brown chalk ink from my stash and added some gold highlight with Viva Decor Inka Gold.

My next step was to create a topper. I cut some smooth white card to fit the top of my box and sponged it all over with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink  Next I stamped three different stamps, The regency background stamp, the Script stamp again and one of the stamps from the swirls, splats and dots plate. I love how you can create some amazing old looking paper by using these stamps together and destressing the edges a bit.

I also added a strip for which I used one of the music stamps.

To finish the box I stamped one of the clocks from the Time and Key set in Black Archival, cut it out and shaded it just a little bit with The Tattered Rose Distress Marker. I added a lock embellishment from the Tim Holtz Locket and Keys set and finished by adding some lace from my stash.




10 comments:

craftimamma said...

This is gorgeous Astrid. I love altered boxes and this one is a beauty combining many elements that are my favourites ............. the script, music and that fabulous watch. I bet your friend is going to love it.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Netty said...

Loving your altered box Astrid, am sure your friend will adore it. Annette x

Marisa Job said...

wow!! This is just beautiful Astrid!! You are a true artist!!

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

Amazing ! and such a source of inspiration !

Artyjen said...

Love those colours and what a pretty box to put your present in for your friend ;)
xoxo Sioux

Redanne said...

Your altered box is really beautiful Astrid and if I was your friend I would absolutely adore it. Anne x

Dreaming of Vintage said...

This is really beautiful! I love the colors.

craftytrog said...

A stunning box Astrid, your friend will love it!
Alison xox

Janny Jager said...

This is really beautiful Astrid.
Love the colors

Greetings Janny

Words and Pictures said...

This is absolutely adorable... love everything about it. And anything with musical notation on it always gets my vote! So inspiring... thank you.