Saturday 23 June 2012

Getting Messy with Gesso by Jennie

Hi, and welcome to another one of my blog posts. This time I thought I would show you a  step by step how to "gesso your way" into the world of altering books or journals, or just a plain old tag!!
This is one of those techniques where I get more on my hands than on the page, and don't tell my husband, but I got it on the camera too! Luckily it did come off!
I used a journal to show you how to do this technique , but you could easily do a smaller piece like a tag or ATC.
Start by laying the Stencil - I used a Dylusions 9 x12 one, and take a small amount of gesso  I used Claudine's studio gesso, which is lovely and thick), and spread it over the stencil with an old credit card or craft scraper. I do spread it quite thin, but not perfectly, if you know what I mean? Important tip, wash your stencil almost immediately as it does dry very quickly, and will be difficult to remove.



I also used a background stamp, and using a small piece of one of those household sponges, (the type that cost pennies in the supermarket) to dab gesso onto the stamps and stamp it immediately. I also stamped it a couple of times to get a sort of shadowy effect. Wash the stamp quickly to remove all the gesso.


I allowed it to dry naturally, and then sprayed over it with Dylusions sprays in greens, yellows and a touch of turquoise.


I love the effect the sprays have on the gesso, showing through some of the white. I just let it dry naturally, but, if you have no patience, use the Dyan technique of rolling a kitchen towel roll over the entire piece, or heat dry.

I added stamps by stamping them with Archival , which dries quickly. I also cut up one of the background stamps so that I had a strip of dots to stamp randomly with :))



I do hope you like this technique, and if you haven't any gesso, you can use any thick paint and get a similar effect.
I have linked all the products here:
Have a creative day, and thanks for looking
Jennie

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great messy technique Jennie. Love it....Will definitely be having a go at this! Have a great weekend. S x

Jenny Marples said...

Thanks for this - gesso is so great over papers but must have a go at this technique too. Hugs, Buttons x

Astrid Maclean said...

Love this technique and you have used it to great effect!

Joanne said...

Love the stencil. I also like playing with this technique and the effects can be just stunning. Nice choice of colours too.
Hugs Joanne xx

TAM said...

Brilliant - love messy play

Helen said...

great tut. I must try this brand of gesso as mine is so runny I can't get effects like this. thanks Jennie!

Sid said...

Fab and very vibrant textures !!

Annie said...

Hi jennie loved the finished piece, must certainly give this a try. TFS x

Redanne said...

I love the techniques you have used Jennie and the finished pages are beautiful. A x

whyducks said...

Wow that is lovely Jennie!

Marjolein said...

I love what you've done here, great technique, that I've done before but this is a better way I think!
Now you've got me hooked on your blog and website..... :)

Ginger said...

Nice journal page. I love how the gesso works with the sprays. Carol x

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Looks like great fun ! Awesome Blog, just joined as a follower ! Shirley

Janny Jager said...

Very nice page and i love the technique you used.

Greetings Janny

Artyjen said...

It's a great looking inky piece ;)
xoxo Sioux

craftytrog said...

Gorgeous colourful pages Jennie, I'll definitely be trying this technique! ;o) xox

Dylan said...

gorgeous xx

susiesu said...

love this technique thanks for sharing it with us lol Susiesu xxx